If you're like me, I get Chinese take out often because 1. I love Chinese food but can't cook it like the restaurant, and 2. Sometimes I just want to eat out of the box in front of the tube watching Grey's Anatomy and CSI. Takeout can get real fattening and artery clogging so, here are some tips to order Chinese food so that it is healthier for you.
- Order the Sweet & Sour Pork/Chicken or any other meat dish without the fried breading. Without the breading, you get the taste minus the extra calories and fat.
- Eliminate the soy sauce or ask for low sodium sauce. Order Fried Rice without soy sauce. In dishes that are cooked with soy sauce, ask if they can cook with low sodium soy sauce. Cutting out or minimizing the soy sauce will help cut down your sodium intake since Chinese food is known for being high in sodium in general.
- Ask for brown rice instead of white rice. More and more Chinese restaurants are offering brown rice as an alternative. Fried Rice made with brown rice is pretty yummy too.
- Order Rice or Chow Mein/Chow Fun but not both. When eat you both rice and Chow Mein/Fun in one sitting you are carb over loading and will end up feeling really heavy. Instead order another vegetable or meat dish. Better to have more protein or veggies.
- Order Wonton soup instead of the Wonton appetizer. Yes they are really crunchy and yummy, but fried Wontons are loaded with fat and calories, and so is the sweet & sour sauce you dip them in. With Wonton soup, you can eat the Wontons minus all the fried fat calories, and get that nice warm cozy soup feeling.